The Village of Perdue was incorporated in 1909. The name Perdue was chosen in honor of a well-known judge and resident of Winnipeg, Judge William E. Perdue.
Perdue is located approximately 40 minutes west of Saskatoon on highway 14.
William Egerton Perdue (1850-1933)
Born at Brampton, Ontario on 20 June 1850, son of Irish immigrants Michael Perdue and Margaret Caser, he was educated at Brampton Public School, Brampton Grammar School, and the University of Toronto. He served as Headmaster of the Brampton High School and engaged in newspaper work with the Toronto Globe while studying law. He was called to the Ontario Bar in 1879.
He came to Manitoba in 1882 and practiced law in Winnipeg with the firms of Bain, Blanchard, Mulock and Perdue, later Perdue and Robinson, and still later Perdue and Rothwell. In August 1903, he was appointed to the Court of King’s Bench, to the Court of Appeal in 1907, and Chief Justice in 1918. He served as Secretary and President of the Manitoba Law Society from 1898 to 1901. He retired in 1929.
On 9 January 1885, he married Mary Fairbanks MacDonnell (1858-?) of Whitby, Ontario. They had three children: Charles Egerton Perdue (1886-?), Olive Margaret Perdue (1887-?), and Mowbray MacDonnell Perdue. He died at his Winnipeg home, 24 Carlton Street, on 17 January 1933 and was buried in the St. John’s Cathedral Cemetery.
--Memorable Manitobans, Manitoba Historical Society (www.mhs.mb.ca)